Butterflies on Brick with a Pop Up

Hi Stampers.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  I had a blast at a Stampin’ Up! party yesterday.  What a fun group of gals!  We made this beautiful butterfly card as one of the 3 cards for the class.

Stampin' Up! Watercolor Wings stamp set on Watercolor Wash background with Bricks embossing folder and center pop up

The card base is Sahara Sand card stock, cut to 8.5″ by 5.5″, scored at 4.25″.  The next layer is Whisper White card stock cut to 5.25″ to 4″.  Onto that I stamped the Watercolor Wash background stamp with Soft Sky ink.  I then dry embossed that layer with the Bricks textured embossing folder.  The butterflies from the Stampin’ Up! Watercolor Wings stamp set are a multi step stamping set.  The base is one stamp (stamped in Soft Sky ink), the next stamp gave the color at the outside edges of the butterfly (stamped in Marina Mist ink) , then the body was another stamp (stamped in Smoky Slate ink).  These were then cut out with the matching framelit from the Butterflies Thinlit die set.

Stampin' Up! Watercolor Wings stamp set on Watercolor Wash background with Bricks embossing folder and center pop up

For the interior of the card, I made a pop up.  I used the larger butterfly from the Watercolor Wings set and used all four stamps (in Soft Sky, Marina Mist and Smoky Slate ink). The framelit that cuts this one out is in the Bold Butterflies framelit set. The pop up fold was achieved by cutting a piece of Whisper White card stock to 7.5″ x 4.75″ scored at 3.75″.  I then used a pencil to make a tiny mark 2.5″ down from the top on the center fold and then 2.5″ to the left on top and 2.5″ to the right on top.  I then lined the bottom mark and the top left mark in the trimmer and scored from one mark to the other and then did the same with the right side. I folded on the score lines so it would pop up in the middle of the card.

Stampin’ Tip:  When putting the pop up fold piece into the card base I put adhesive on one half of the base.  I lined up the fold in the insert with the fold in the card base and adhered the one side.  For the second side, I collapsed the insert on one side as if the card was closed and then put the adhesive onto it and then closed the card.  This made sure that the insert would lay flat when closed and the insert adhered where it needed to.

I put snail adhesive on 1/2 of the larger butterfly and adhered it to the left side of the pop up. (See photo above). The sentiment in the lower right is stamped in Smoky Slate and is also from the Watercolor Wings stamp set.

This card takes a little longer than some of my others due to the pop up, but the element of surprise for your recipient is worth it. 🙂

Happy Stamping,
Lisa's signature

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *